Monday, July 8

An Untraditional Fourth and the Songs of Summer

I was fortunate enough to have a long weekend back at home for the holiday.  I spent some well-needed time with my family, saw some friends, and ate a lot of good food.  I've always enjoyed helping my mother in the kitchen, but I don't think it was until my recent health kick that I've really enjoyed cooking my own food.  It's the only way to know exactly what you're putting into your food and body.

Our Fourth of July meal was pretty different than the typical holiday fare.  My mom made a black sweet rice dish with coconut, peanuts, and sugar.  For dinner, we made gỏi cuốn, Vietnamese spring rolls.  It was light, refreshing, and perfect for the hot weather.  For dessert, I made a double layer cake, with pineapple, coconut, and a pudding filling.  It was my first time making a double layer cake and I think it turned out pretty well.  It was my mom's recipe, but I really wanted to bake something.  It's also a family favorite, so it was a winning situation for all.

The next morning, I made my own granola, with cranberries and almonds.  This might be my new favorite snack to make.  It's so easy to make, healthy and delicious.  :)

I think it was too relaxing of a holiday at home...it was definitely hard to come back to school.

The second part of this post is a music post.  Here are some songs for summer.

"Ooh La La" Britney Spears

"Chocolate" The 1975

Currently listening to: "Chocolate" The 1975

No comments:

Post a Comment